Friday, October 9, 2015

Don't Exaggerate

There is a trap that I fall into far too often.  I actually don't think I realized it until just recently!  I exaggerate problems until they are all out of proportion.  My mom used to tell me to stop making mountains out of molehills and I didn't understand.  It made me mad that she wouldn't take me seriously when I was terrified of something.  I didn't realize that I was borrowing trouble.  I was convinced a certain situation would just get worse and worse before anything would actually happen!

I still do this.  I blow things all out of proportion before I even have all of the facts.  I assume the very worst will happen.  Now, however, if I notice myself doing this, I try to take a breath and tell myself to calm down and just see what is going to happen.  I need to let the situation play out and work to change my way of thinking.  By doing this it will reduce my stress level.  

If you struggle with depression and anxiety, I ask you to be aware of how you approach a stressful situation. Try to not get all tied up in knots before you even have a clue how things will turn out!  It will help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment